Re: Deskop performance

hello,

I've been compiling a kernel for my dekstops (work and home) for a few years. I started my .config file from a Debian stock kernel and started removing options that I know i didn't want in my x86 boxes. Eventually, I started adding stuff that only desktop should have and compiling-in (instead of as modules) the stuff that I know should always be in the kernel (like drivers for the keyboard/mouse, etc..).

Attached is a copy of my .config. I created a kernel (2.6.13-desktop-1) from this.

IMHO, the best thing to have in a desktop these days (aside from security-related modules) is inotify and preempt.