Re: Some questions about 'menu' and 'submount/supermount'

El Martes 31 Mayo 2005 03:41, Leonardo Pereira escribió:
> I am a debian user for a long time, but I am new in
> this list. So I don't know all projects and proposals
> that already was debated here. But I will say some
> ideas that I have in my mind, that I don't see in
> debian and that I think that could be useful. If the
> group already have any position about some project,
> please tell me what is this position.
>
>  1- Currently, the "Gnome Menu", has only gnome
> programs, and in the end we have a "Debian Menu" with
> all system files. In KDE, we have the KDE menu, and
> the "Debian Menu" splited between the categories of
> "KDE Menu". In Blackbox, we have the "Debian Menu" as
> the default menu.
>     I think that a good project would be to
> standardize all the menus of all the Desktops to be
> the "Debian Menu", including the KDE and the GNOME
> menus. Moreover, it would be necessary to rediscuss
> the organization of the "Debian Menu", I think that
> the organization of the programs in the submenus could
> be redone.
>

>  2- Include some packages with the module of
> supermount or submount and other with the source, like
> we have to pcmcia modules, nvidia modules, alsa
> modules... Supermount/Submount are useful and
> 'necessary' service to a good desktop, IMO.
>
> Thanks for the attention,
> Leonardo Lopes Pereira

I'm also not informed about all the projects existing here, but I can give you
some hints:

1- I think that this is going to be achieved soon, because Gnome and KDE are
being adapted to the Freedesktop menu specification. Gnome 2.10 is already
adapted, and I'm not sure about the status of KDE, but they are doing it for
sure.

2- It seems that the way to go is pmount/hal/dbus, which is already integrated
with Gnome in Debian, and I think it is also integrated with KDE 3.4, which
is in experimental.

Regards,

  Cesar