Re: Documentation on configuring Debian for desktop use?

[..]

> I made something that i think is missing in debian.
> I created a generalist package list to install.
> http://www.otiliamatos.ath.cx/~gass/debian/files/pacotes.txt
> i has many packages that could be removed, i know, but it has the most
> used software and it has options for everything. It does not have the
> exclusivity of the gnome instalation using the gnome meta-package , or
> kde's.
We setup a project called Librassoc (see http://www.bxlug.be/librassoc/)
which is basically a Debian Sarge with GNOME in French and Dutch.
Our list of packages is here: http://apt.bxlug.be/librassoc/dpkg.selections.
All packages come from Debian, except one: gnome-librassoc, which is not
needed.
Maybe we should compare yours and ours?

See http://apt.bxlug.be/librassoc/install-librassoc.sh

> Many people have used that script over the past months, and the time of
> download (400 mb downloaded in more or less 2 hours with the avaiable
> connections in portugal) is compensated by the facility of the instalation.
Also more or less 400MB to download for us.
We also documented the way to use apt-proxy to speed it when installing
on several PC, and even how to preseed the installation to ask for less
questions.

> I also tested that with debconf with minimal or nonbe interaction, we
> can have a perfect instalation, on about 70% of the cases.
>
> with the help of discover and hotplg, everything is configured.
Same for us.

--
Jerome Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>
BeezNest