Re: usplash or fbsplash?

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 11:27 -0500, Luis M wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:52:03 +0100, website <website_debian@tiscali.it> wrote:
> > Now we have to decide which approach to choose, the fbsplash one or the
> > usplash one, please sent your vote replying this message. If you are not
> > interested to this stuff please do nothing.
>
> Well, they both achieve the same purpose, so I believe we have to "do
> the right thing". All tools in user-space and not need for kernel
> patch is the right choice (if it can be done in user-space, let it be
> done there and not in kernel-space stuff).
>
> In any case, we already have debsplash working at this moment. I just
> finished packaging the whole thing (found the error problems with my
> setup). So, we should continue using and maintaining debsplash for
> those of us who care.
>
> Then we should concentrate all our efforts in getting usplash working
> and eventually replace debsplash. usplash stands a greater chance of
> being accepted not only for Debian, but for Gentoo, Fedora, etc...
> etc... And since Fedora already does some or most of what usplash
> wants to do... plus the expertise we have with dealing with bootsplash
> plus now gen/debsplash, we should get usplash up-n-running in no time
> :-) (note that I chose "should" and not any other word -- a lot of
> work is ahead, but at least there is a lot more people and ubuntu's
> sponsoring is not a bad thing).

Hi guys
Sorry for the lack of emails etc i've been really busy with work, server
installs etc blahblah
anyway from what ive been reading from all the mails, i think depsplash
should be dumped as ubuntu is debian based, usplash looks more promising
thou as for the user space idea and no kernel space, but it interests me
alot as ubuntu is debian based, so thats my little idea into the ring
Later fellas
| Glyn Tebbutt |                d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com |
|--------------'      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it |
| gpg-key: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg |
|        Lisa, if you dont like your job you dont strike, |
|         just go in everyday and do it really half-assed |
|                  Thats the American way. -Homer Simpson |