Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:52 -0400, Thomas Mills Hinkle
<thomas_hinkle@alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
> > * Go into "super silent" mode where fbsplash/debsplash would NEVER
<snip>
> Just to be clear --my computer now seems to be "super silent" -- it
> doesn't show messages even when fsck is going on (my ext3 partitions are
> automatically checked every so-many mounts).

Yep. And this bothers me because I have NO idea why it works for some
and not for other computers. Same thing happened to me while using
bootsplash. I have noticed that some Live CDs do this well and never
really go into verbose mode (even in the same computers I had problems
with my own kernels). I have tested other systems that work with my
kernels just fine.
So this tells me that some of the hardware/kernel modules I have or
perhaps some initrc scripts for the services I'm running, cause the
kernel to go into "warning" and dumps you in verbose.

Again, this warnings can easily be discarded as they are just stupid
messages. Things like:

module foo could not be loaded because it was already loaded

I could care less about this.

> As you say, it would be nice if it did show a special message
> saying"checking hard-drive" and perhaps showing a second smaller
> progress bar for this process. As is, I often think startup has somehow
> "frozen" when fsck is going on and hit F2 to see what's going on.

fsck is definitely a f*ck'ed up thing :-) My XFS drives NEVER need
this. But buggy ext3 needs this every N mounts (as you mentioned). And
let's not go into how slow ext3 is and how much disk space you loose
when you format a big drive using this... but that's a totally
different subject to be discussed in a totally different mailing list.

random thoughts;
XFS should be default for all linux partitions and grub should just
work with XFS disks.
lilo is history. no need to support it any further.

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html