Re: Debian Desktop... but which Debian on my Desktop... now?!

> This sounds as if there wouldn't be all that much more work needde to be
> done - gives me hope to see something soon.

Yer, Debian is indeed a very nice platform to base stuff on. :)

> Is the inavailability of mirrors a real issue? How about the 'usual places'
> like ibiblio.org and gwdg.de and so on?

We're going to send a mail to them and some of the current Debian mirrors.
If they know Debian (and its everlasting release procedure *grin*), they would
probably like to support a desktop flavour of it.

> I've read about Project Utopia and the KDE Volume Manager before but always
> had the impression that those were a bit far off to be really integrated
> and nice and all. Though the availability of the GNOME Volume Manager might
> prove me wrong there =).

Ubuntu Linux ships with Project Utopia already, which I believe shows it's
mature enough (or almost) already.

> Still it seems to be quite a bit harder to get all this (HAL, D-BUS, KDE
> VM...) going instead of 'just' adding a supermount-ng patch to the
> kernel... don't know just wish KDE or my distribution-of-choice (DDD? :))
> would handle this out of the box.

supermount is considered a hack. ervin of Kalyxo is working on a media:/
kioslave for KDE which I believe will solve a lot for us. I don't remember
the latest plan on how to automount stuff though. :-) I'll ask.

> Everything I've seen from Kalyxo this far simply rocks... Guess I don't
> need tp go into too much detail but even the fact that you're packaging
> FreeNX, make me use the latest amaroK and so one... oh well a whole KDE
> debian system done by kalyxo could be THE thing for me.

Nice to hear that.

> But then again I've a pretty clear view of what the perfect KDE desktop
> should look like out of the box and I shouldn't expect anyone to fullfill
> this ;)

Feel free to show how you would like it. A screenshot or so.

*/ Christoffer Sawicki <qerub@home.se>