Re: kick starting debian desktop

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:25 -0700, Daniel Cardenas - AZ wrote:
> What do you think of the idea of having a debian desktop release real
> soon?  In order to get it out real soon the only difference would be a
> different set of packages or additional set of packages installed by
> default.  I would ask the install team, Joey Hess, to ask during
> installation if this is for a server or desktop(unstable).  (I'm sure
> there is a better way of asking that.)  If it is for a desktop then the
> default installation would include gnome and KDE.

Well, there already is a desktop task which includes Gnome and KDE. If
there's a package which you think desktop users need but isn't in this
task, you should start a discussion on debian-devel about adding this
package to the desktop task.

> There are a bunch of other simple changes we could try for example
> soften the security model.   Debian does a bunch of things to prevent a
> normal user from abusing the system.  Details: root can't access the
> screen without executing xauth (blah) command.  On a single user system
> is this desired?  Perhaps we could eliminate the need to execute xauth.
> Do you have other simple changes to propose?

I think this has worked before. It's just a matter of setting the
XAUTHORITY variable, really. Probably a bug.

> I think having a desktop release would generate lots of interest in the
> desktop and help get it off the ground.

Why do you call it a "release"? Why is it different than a normal
Debian release?

--
Pelle