Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian-update Gnome applet]]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 08:32, Bluefuture wrote:
> From: Daniel Burrows <d.burrows4@verizon.net>
> To: Bluefuture <bluefuture@email.it>
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian-update Gnome applet]
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:28:42 -0500

> > It is WAY to big... it uses alot of space showing all the text, you
> > should use small icons to indicate the different states instead.
>
>   Obviously.  I couldn't find any stock icons that fit, so it uses
> placeholder text until I come up with decent icons.  (See TODO)

Along the same lines as this, it doesn't seem to fit on a 24pixel panel
when its updating. The progress bar gets drawn below the text. I suppose
when proper icons are used (a la rhn-applet), then the size will be
significantly reduced.

> > I'm not logged in as root, so this must be solved in some way. I can't
> > run apt-get update. Aptitude only loads the current cache, so it will
> > never find any updates without me manually run apt-get update. And what
> > is the point then. When updates are available it should popup som
> > authentication dialog to allow me to do updates from my user account.
>
>   It can; double-click on the applet when updates are available or look
> at the Preferences dialog.
>
> > So how could this be done? I don't know but wouldn't it be possible to
> > download the package-lists according to the global-apt preferenses and
> > compare them to the installed packages? I guess that might be quite alot
> > of work though... :-/
>
>   That's what it does.
>
> > It should not be an applet but a small daemon that registers with the
> > session-manager using the notification-area to indicate when stuff are
> > available for download. The preferenses should be installed as a
> > separate applet (like the control-center struff).
>
>   I don't understand this paragraph.

What Daniel is saying is that instead of a panel-applet, make it a small
daemon that runs in the notification area (again, a la rhn-applet). The
rhn-applet will restart itself when you log back in (the registering
with session-manager stuff). I'm not sure about the preferences sentence
though...

--
Link Dupont <link@subpop.net>