[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian-update Gnome applet]]

--- Begin Message ---
> It is WAY to big... it uses alot of space showing all the text, you
> should use small icons to indicate the different states instead.

  Obviously.  I couldn't find any stock icons that fit, so it uses
placeholder text until I come up with decent icons.  (See TODO)

> I'm not logged in as root, so this must be solved in some way. I can't
> run apt-get update. Aptitude only loads the current cache, so it will
> never find any updates without me manually run apt-get update. And what
> is the point then. When updates are available it should popup som
> authentication dialog to allow me to do updates from my user account.

  It can; double-click on the applet when updates are available or look
at the Preferences dialog.

> So how could this be done? I don't know but wouldn't it be possible to
> download the package-lists according to the global-apt preferenses and
> compare them to the installed packages? I guess that might be quite alot
> of work though... :-/

  That's what it does.

> It should not be an applet but a small daemon that registers with the
> session-manager using the notification-area to indicate when stuff are
> available for download. The preferenses should be installed as a
> separate applet (like the control-center struff).

  I don't understand this paragraph.

  Daniel

--
/------------------ Daniel Burrows <d.burrows4@verizon.net> ------------------\
|                  "You mean, you'll drop your rock and                       |

--- End Message ---