Re: Some thoughts about a Debian for Desktops

Il mer, 2004-02-11 alle 16:16, Matthew A. Nicholson ha scritto:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:02:49 +0100, Elmar Athmer <linux@nixus-minimax.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm new to this list and want to mention some of my thoughts about a
> > Debian
> > distribution for Desktops.
> >
> > The most annoying and biggest problem with debian is the outdated
> > software.
> > When Debian 3.0 was released, KDE 3.0 was already released for about 4
> > months. Because of the long release cycles KDE 2.2 (?) is still the
> > actual
> > KDE-Release in the actual Debian Release.
> > Of course this conservative use of software is useful for servers.
> > But if I exaggerate: Why installing software to a computer - it is the
> > most
> > stable without any software!
> >
> > So there is already a question: Is the aim of debian-desktop to improve
> > Debian
> > (i.e. more userfriendly installer, etc.), or aims debian-desktop to make
> > new distribution?
> > Shorter release cycles can only become real by forking into a new
> > distribution.
>
> I don't think a new distro is the answer.  I think forking the debian
> repositories would be better.  Like have a seperate desktop-testing and
> desktop-stable branches.
>

> > I think, a system is userfriendly, if you once set it up and then don't
> > have
> > to care about a lot. With SuSE there where problems when trying to
> > update,
> > that made me leave SuSE. Debian is very close to this idea: you need some
> > time to configure and then it just works.
> >
> > Now lets talk about the argument, for desktop use unstable is stable
> > enough
> > and could be used.
> > Average users are really scared by the description of unstable
> > ("everything
> > could be breaken...").
> > And updating software often is not possible for every user. Especially
> > average
> > users have often no highspeed connection to update their system.
>
> Updating could be handled like XP.  Little tray proggie that will download
> and install updates for you.  Very simple really. (might create probs if
> the user decides to use unstable, then that wouldn't really be a desktop
> user would it?...)
It's a good solution. take a look to this link:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200402/msg00405.html

> > So a first step might be to get a snapshot of unstable, make everything
> > work
> > and provide security-updates.
> > When these are released on CD it is also available for PCs with no or
> > slow
> > internet connection.
> >
> > Something already mentioned in this list: A user doesn't want to choose
> > software. Debian has about 8000 packages (in woody), and if a user is
> > searching for an ICQ-Client he doesn't want to test and configure a
> > client
> > just to find out, that other clients work better and he has to configure
> > it
> > again.
> >
> > So choosing the "best" software might help a lot, and shrinks also the
> > number
> > of CDs. Of course this is connected to a lot of flamewars, especially
> > about
> > the Desktop-Environment KDE or Gnome. I think Gnome or KDE is just a
> > question
> > about the flavor qt-look or GTK...
>
> Choosing the best software would/should speed up releases, less time
> waiting for less stuff to stablize.  I think during install the installer
> should ask the user to classify him self as a novice, power, or advanced
> user and then select what to install/what to ask the user from that.
> (GNOME for newbies, KDE for power, pick what you want for advanced...)
> Also packages should have alternate names.  "Hey I wan't an instant
> messanger"  Opps now what does the user do?  This IMO should be worried
> about later as there are many ways to accomplish this.

this userlinux use cases could be useful:
http://www.userlinux.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Use_Cases
We could do more and more work on the Tasksel and gtasksel (gtk
frontend) for include more use cases and improve actual Desktop task.

> On the state of the debian-desktop, from where I am standing it looks
> pretty dead to me.  We don't seem to be doing anything...  Maybe I am
> wrong.

An irc meeting is needed!!