Re: bootsplash as kernel binary module

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 22:45, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:24:02 +0100, Fabri <fabri@quitnet.it> wrote:
>
> > Why you don't try to make bootsplash as binary module as  Donald have
> > done for nvidia kernel modules
> > (http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia/modules-unstable/i386/) so we
> > don't need recompiling kernel.
> >
> > Friendly
>
> I will look into it, but bootsplash is not my project.  Currently
> bootsplash works as a kernel patch, I am not sure if it could
> function as a kernel module.
>
> --
> Matthew A. Nicholson
> Matt-Land.com

I have been playing around with Xandros 2.0 (yeah, used that free CD I
got from LinuxWorld) and I have to admit this is the right way to do a
bootsplash:
1. loads from a module
2. just works
3. looks nice
4. doesn't go to "verbose" mode when something happens, a simple message
says "failed" if, say, the ethernet failed to get an IP via DHCP (who
cares)
5. did i mention that it works?

the only thing I don't like is that it needs a initrd. but, i guess
that's the only way to get a bootsplash to work.
(I have since abandon my "debian-embelisher" attempt just for not
dealing with 2.6.x kernels and initrd to make the bootsplash patch
work...)

I can't switch to Xandros myself (at least not at home), but at work I
have switched as many desktops as I could (just to test it in different
setups with all kinds of hardware, old and new).

kudos to the people at Xandros for it...

now, since the kernel is GPL'ed and, I wonder what kind of license the
splashFX stuff for Xandros actually has... is there source somewhere
that can be (safely) used? or do we have to rely on bootsplash.org
**crappy** patches.
(just in case, sorry if my discontent may offend somebody, but...;
bootsplash might work fine for SuSe and whatever other distros, but for
Debian it doesn't seem to cut it, there is always something wrong)

for those who care, you can get the rc.diff's and rcS.diff's plus
whatever else you need to "embelish" debian from:
ftp://ftp.latinomixed.com/downloads/debian-embelisher

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com
Por muchos idiomas que se dominen, cuando uno se corta al afeitarse,
siempre utiliza la lengua materna. -- Eddie Constantine.

http://www.latinomixed.com/