Re: StarlingX looking at alternatives to CentOS

On 1/15/21 2:25 PM, Héctor Orón Martínez wrote:
Hello Saul

Hector, thanks for getting back to me.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:30, Saul Wold <Saul.Wold@windriver.com> wrote:

Our concerns have to do with
1) Build Tooling
We have been looking at pbuilder and debbuild, ,but want to understand
if there are automated building scripts (I did find buildd).

There are many build tools and frameworks, it really depends on what
you want to accomplish and depends on your needs, as a start please
have a look at:
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBuildTools

Ah missed this wik

I have been using open-build-service to build different Debian
derivatives in the past.

Yes, I have used OBS for building both SuSE packages and an attempt at building some StarlingX packages about 2 years ago for Debian.

2) LTS / CVE support for Buster
I have seen the information on the Debian Wiki pages about releases and
Security team, but I am trying to understand better what LTS means vs
what the Security team does.

Debian security team is part of Debian and supports the distribution
packages for 2 years after the release. LTS is backed by commercial
company hiring Debian developers, but it is not run by the Debian
community, it extends the distribution lifecycle to a longer term past
the initial official support (2y).

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Security
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

What was not clear from the wiki pages is what exactly is fixed in the LTS version? All CVEs? Some CVEs? Is there some criteria listed that I missed?

3) Status of Bullseye
Again I have seen the release pages.

Good.

4) building custom kernel
Mostly, I know how to handle kernels and rebuilding, just wondering if
there is any Debian specific concerns.

No concerns, but you may want to generate Debian kernel *packages*, I
would recommend you to look at Debian kernel handbook

https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/

5) lots of other considerations around patching userspace, adding
missing packages to the debian ecosystem, creating custom repos (either
with DAK or repropro).

aptly is also a good tool to manage repositories

OK, I will add that to my list to review.

6) other unknowns of transitioning from CentOS -> Debian

I have looked around the Debian Wiki pages.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks for considering Debian,

--
Sau!