Debian derivatives census: Bloss: welcome!

Hi,

I would like to welcome yourself and Bloss to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and Bloss to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Bloss

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Bloss.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Bloss census page,
I've made a few changes to the Bloss census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Bloss?action=info

I note that Bloss is in the early stages of its life, please remember
to update the Bloss census page with information and links as you grow.

The page says that Bloss modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Bloss actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Once you have an apt repository setup, please add the Bloss
sources.list to the wiki page. This will eventually help feed back
patches and new packages to Debian developers.

I note that Bloss is based on Debian stable. A great way to help ensure
that the next Debian release is working well is to install and run the
how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help

There doesn't appear to be a Bloss blog or a blog aggregator for
Bloss developers. If these existed they would be syndicated on Planet
Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out the
things that are happening in Bloss.

https://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Since Bloss is based in Australia you might be interested in joining
one of the local Debian groups in Australia or a local LUG.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups#Australia

This year the annual Debian conference is in Haifa, Israel. It would be
great if developers from Bloss could attend DebConf. If this isn't
possible, bids for next year's DebConf are in India, Kosovo & Portugal.

https://debconf20.debconf.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/21

Once the Bloss project is generating revenue I would encourage Nilskör
(the Bloss corporate sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the
continued survival of Debian and the success of the annual Debian
conference.

https://www.debian.org/donations
https://debconf.org/sponsors/
https://debconf20.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/19/Volunteer
https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/volunteer_roles.html

Once Nilskör/Bloss have paid positions open and if any of the positions
are about contributing to FLOSS projects, you could advertise them on
FOSSjobs. If any of the positions are related using or contributing to
Debian, you could advertise them on debian-jobs. If any of them involve
the use of FLOSS, You might like to advertise them on the other FLOSS
related job aggregators. In addition, one of the perks for DebConf
sponsors is a presence at the job fair.

https://www.fossjobs.net/
https://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/
https://github.com/fossjobs/fossjobs/wiki/resources#job-aggregators
https://debconf20.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/

I note that Bloss uses GNOME and Calamares, I would encourage you to
provide feedback and fixes to the upstream teams for them.

I note that Bloss uses some non-x86 architectures, I would encourage
you to provide help porting Debian to those architectures.

https://www.debian.org/ports/
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and TLS to some of your domains. TLS on the repository will help Bloss
users to obscure package names and version numbers from global active
adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

http://dnsviz.net/d/Blosswebsite/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Guidelines/Web_Security

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Bloss team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise