Re: Generating DEP-11 Metadata

On 01/26/2018 07:54 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>    I am trying to setup a mirror repository which fetches packages from
>> Debian Testing and serves it from our derivative repository of Hamara Linux.
>>
>> The repository structure can be seen here devel.hamaralinux.org
>>
>> The repository is working fine except for the part of generating the DEP-11
>> Metadata.
>>
>> DEP-11 Metadata is required for software managers like gnome-software to
>> display the applications in there interface.
>>
>> I tried generating the Metadata using Appstream Generator using an
>> asgen-config.json file referring this
>>
>> https://github.com/ximion/appstream-generator/blob/master/docs/asgen-config.md
>>
>> It did generate the files but in a separate folder and didn't generate the
>> folder named DEP-11 as well.
> This is intentional, because usually this data is generated on a
> separate machine for security reasons (I downloads stuff from
> arbitrary sources, and performs jobs like SVG rendering and image
> resizing).
>
>> I tried manually moving the contents of export/data/<suite>/main/ to a
>> manually created folder which can be seen here
>>
>> http://devel.hamaralinux.org/hamara-sugam/dists/namaste/main/
> That's okay (copying/rsyncing the files is a better idea though).
>
>> but that didn't affect the Release files content and hence the distribution
>> using the repo is still not recognizing the content of the dep-11 folder.
>>
>> What is the correct way of generating the metadata and getting included in
>> the repository?
> That depends. Which software do you use to generate the repository?
reprepro it is.

> If
> it's dak, it will automatically add these files if they were copied to
> the correct location. In case of reprepro, it looks like a patch is
> needed to include the files[1] (but maybe that issue is already solved
> or can be worked around, I didn't look into that in detail).
I looked at the bug report, but there seems to be no progress on it yet.
> Using the Debian data won't help you, if your archive management
> software does not register the metadata.in the Release files.
got the point, but I am still not getting a way on telling reprepro to
include the DEP-11 folder in the release file.
I see that Tanglu does it nicely
http://archive.tanglu.org/tanglu/dists/dasyatis/main/
so is pureOS http://repo.pureos.net/pureos/dists/green/main/

But not being able to figure out the exact process.