Debian derivatives census: AIMS Desktop: welcome!

Hi Jonathan, Jan,

I would like to welcome yourself and AIMS Desktop to the Debian
derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to
introduce yourself and AIMS Desktop to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/AIMS_Desktop

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to AIMS Desktop.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the AIMS Desktop census page,
I've made a few changes to the AIMS Desktop census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/AIMS_Desktop?action=info

The page says that AIMS Desktop modifies Debian binary packages. It is
quite rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does AIMS Desktop
actually do this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications
you are making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for AIMS Desktop are
missing the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when
active network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At
minimum, rolling releases and suites containing security updates should
have this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Date.2C_Valid-Until

The apt repository for AIMS Desktop does not contain source packages
for a few binary packages versions, which might be a GPL violation.

calamares 2.4.2-1~aimsppa2
calamares 2.4.3-1~aimsppa1
calamares 2.4.4-1
kpmcore 2.1.1-1~ppa1
kpmcore 2.2.1-1

There doesn't appear to be a AIMS Desktop blog or a blog aggregator for
AIMS Desktop developers. If these existed they would be syndicated on
Planet Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out
the things that are happening in AIMS Desktop.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

If there are any Debian groups in South Africa, it would be great to
document them here:

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups

Thanks for your involvement in DebConf16 orga and I hope you will be
able to make it to DebConf17 and DebConf18 :)

It sounds like you have your preparations for Debian stretch well
underway with students testing RC images just yesterday.

https://plus.google.com/+JonathanCarter/posts/EuEUcwwAVq7

A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
issues that come up.

https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the AIMS Desktop team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise