Debian derivatives census: Clonezilla: welcome!

Hi Steven,

I would like to welcome yourself and Clonezilla to the Debian
derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to
introduce yourself and Clonezilla to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Clonezilla

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Clonezilla.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Clonezilla census page,
I've made a few changes to the Clonezilla census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Clonezilla?action=info

The page says that Clonezilla modifies Debian binary packages. It is
quite rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Clonezilla actually
do this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Clonezilla are
missing the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when
active network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At
minimum, rolling releases and suites containing security updates should
have this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

Some of the packages in the Clonezilla apt repository only have MD5
hashes associated with them. I would encourage you to add SHA-1 and
SHA-256 hashes for them.

http://deriv.debian.net/Clonezilla/check-package-list

I noticed some of the Release files in the apt repository have multiple
Date/etc headers in them. You might want to check why that is.

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the Clonezilla news page to Planet Debian derivatives, which
helps the Debian community find out the things that are happening in
the world of Debian derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Since Clonezilla is based in Taiwan you might be interested in joining
the Debian Taiwan group.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups/Debian-TW

This year the annual Debian conference is in Cape Town, South Africa,
it would be great if developers from Clonezilla could attend DebConf,
unfortunately it is only one month until the conference starts. If this
isn't possible, next year DebConf will be in Montreal, Canada.

http://debconf16.debconf.org/

I would encourage the Taiwanese government and NCHC (the Clonezilla
corporate sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued
survival of Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference.

https://www.debian.org/donations
http://debconf.org/sponsors/
http://media.debconf.org/dc16/fundraising/debconf16_sponsorship_brochure.pdf

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

A great way to help ensure that Debian unstable is working well is to
install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues
that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I note that Clonezilla uses Debian Live, I would encourage you to
provide feedback and fixes to the Debian Live team.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive

I note that there are partclone and clonezilla packages in Debian but
that they are outdated. You might want to talk to the maintainer about
these packages and consider helping out with their maintenance.

Georges Khaznadar <georgesk@debian.org>
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/clonezilla
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/partclone

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on the repository will help
Clonezilla users to obscure package names and version numbers from
global active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Clonezilla team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise