Debian derivatives census: Armbian: welcome!

Hi Igor,

I would like to welcome yourself and Armbian to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and Armbian to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Armbian

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

It would be great if you could join the Debian ARM mailing list and IRC
channel and introduce yourself and Armbian there too.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/
ircs://irc.oftc.net/debian-arm
https://webchat.oftc.net/?channels=debian-arm

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Armbian.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Armbian census page,
I've made a few changes to the Armbian census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Armbian?action=info

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Armbian are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

The apt repository for Armbian does not contain source packages,
including for packages licensed under the GNU GPL. This may or may not
be a copyright violation depending on whether or not you distribute
those elsewhere. In any case, please add source packages to your
repository so that Debian can automatically create patches to be
presented to Debian package maintainers.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#No_source_packages
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches

The page claims Armbian uses 'Ubuntu' in the dpkg vendor field. I think
it would be better if you would change that to 'Armbian' both in the
wiki page and in your /etc/dpkg/origins/default symlink. It is
important that Debian derivatives set this properly on installed
systems and mention the value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the Armbian website to the blog field since it has an RSS
feed and added it to Planet Debian derivatives, which helps the Debian
community find out the things that are happening in the world of Debian
derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Cape Town, South Africa,
it would be great if developers from Armbian could attend DebConf,
unfortunately it is rather soon though. If this isn't possible, next
year DebConf will be in Montreal, Canada.

http://debconf16.debconf.org/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Armbian is based on Debian stable. The Debian release team
recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian stable
release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your plans for
rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/03/msg00000.html

A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
issues that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I note that Armbian also has wheezy in the apt repository.
The Debian security team recently announced an LTS effort for wheezy.
I would encourage Armbian to help out with this effort if possible.

https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

I note there is another ARM related Debian derivative called Raspbian,
have you considered collaborating or merging with them?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Raspbian

I note that Armbian uses Xfce, I would encourage you to
provide feedback and fixes to the Xfce team.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianXfceGroup

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on the repository will help
Armbian users to obscure package names and version numbers from global
active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Armbian team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise