Re: Microsoft SONiC: invitation to join the Debian derivatives census

On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 03:01 +0000, Darren Loher wrote:

> SONiC is not a distribution.

Thanks for the clarification.

You may want to get Microsoft/Azure added to the list of Debian users:

https://www.debian.org/users/

You may want to consider presenting Microsoft's use of SONiC at the
open weekend at DebConf16 in Cape Town, South Africa.

http://debconf16.debconf.org/
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16

I note the project has a CLA, you might want to reconsider that:

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2014/06/09/do-not-need-cla.html

> We have 'curated' a selection of applications (like quagga, netsnmpd,
> lldpd, redis, ansible, etc)

I wonder if a Debian Pure Blend around switch networking might be a
good idea. There are several Debian derivatives in this space
(VyOS/Cumulus/etc), perhaps they would collaborate on this.

https://www.debian.org/blends/
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/VyOS
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux

netsnmpd doesn't appear to be in Debian, if that is the case you may
want to consider packaging it and getting it added.

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

> Open Network Linux (is it on your list as a debian derivative?)

They were invited but did not respond.

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1450749193.2808.159.camel@debian.org

> We don't currently distribute a Linux kernel, we just make the
> patches available to the community to add the device driver ...

I encourage you to contribute those upstream if you aren't already.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise