Re: Are there other derivatives based on Debian Testing?

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, Paul Wise wrote:
>> > In Kali, we have a workflow where we constantly sync with Debian Testing
>> > and our kali-dev release breaks from time to time due to breakage in
>> > testing:
>> > - some package migrate alone when they should not (ex: texinfo with
>> >   #791588)
>>
>> That was filed with severity serious so it should have blocked
>> migration. I guess the migration happened before the bug was filed?
>> The solution here seems to be more testing of unstable to catch bugs
>> early.
>
> None of this help here. There's no bug in unstable, the package installs
> fine in unstable. But once it migrated into testing without tex-common,
> then the bug appears... the bug is a missing dependency that can only
> be detected by some sort of partial upgrade.

Tanglu[1] would be a candidate for this kind of issue.
We also merge things from unstable, but the vast majority of packages
comes from Debian testing.

Packages are synced from Debian only if dose-builddebcheck considers
them to be buildable on the Tanglu base, also, if something is removed
from testing, our tools will attempt to remove it from Tanglu as well.
However, for the partial-upgrade problem we do not have any solution
yet, and the current approach is to let people run into the issues in
the development branch and fix them for the release.
(Fortunately, this kind of problem does not seem to happen very often)

If there was a smarter solution, or maybe even a collaborative effort
to solve this, I think we would be glad to participate.

Cheers,
    Matthias

[1]: http://tanglu.org/