Re: OLPC & Debian?

Hi,

I'm not complaining at all but, isn't having two distributions with the same name a bit confusing?

Cheers,
Javi

On Wed, 2015-07-08 at 16:48 +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> Yes, OLPC is also an RPM distribution based on Fedora.
>
> We are also packaging Sugar and activities using Debian.
>
> I'm not aware of any announcement.

Hmm, OK. In that case, welcome to the derivatives census!

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/OLPC

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to OLPC.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the OLPC census page,
I've made a few changes to the OLPC census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/OLPC?action="">

I note that the page says that OLPC is based on Ubuntu but there is a
stretch suite in the repo. Are you planning on a transition to being
based on Debian?

The page says that OLPC modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does OLPC actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for OLPC are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

The page has a dpkg vendor field of 'Ubuntu', we would suggest that
systems running the OLPC Debian/Ubuntu packages should use OLPC as the
vendor instead.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the OLPC blog to Planet Debian derivatives which helps the
Debian community find out the things that are happening in the world of
Debian derivatives. It would be interesting to have a post on the OLPC
blog about OLPC's experiences with Debian.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Germany. It would be
great if developers from OLPC could attend DebConf. If this isn't
possible, next year DebConf will be in South Africa.

http://debconf15.debconf.org/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that OLPC has a stretch suite in the repository. A great way to
help ensure that the next Debian release working well is to install and
run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I would encourage OLPC folks to join the Debian sugar team:

https://wiki.debian.org/SugarTeam

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on the repository will help OLPC
users to obscure package names and version numbers from global active
adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the OLPC team.

--
Javier Hernández Antúnez
Área de Operaciones

Emergya Consultoría