mirrors, Debian http-redirector & derivatives

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen the announcement about the Debian http
redirector, which is a special redirector for apt repositories that was
developed to suite the needs of Debian mirroring where there are many
mirrors of varying updatedness, location and quality.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/05/msg00003.html
http://httpredir.debian.org/

Raphael, have you considered packaging the http-redirector? There are a
number of Debian derivatives (below) who have multiple mirrors of their
apt repo and might consider using it if it were easier to install/setup.

https://github.com/rgeissert/http-redirector.git

I found the Finnix one most interesting, they have a custom system that
checks mirror status, has some sort of geoip support.
Ryan, could you share information about the technology behind this?

http://mirrors.finnix.org/

I note that surprisingly Kali seems to use mirrorbrain.
Mati, has Kali packaged mirrorbrain or are you using a manual setup?
Have you found any problems with using it for serving apt repositories?

http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist

Some of the URLs below are broken, hopefully folks will review their
information and fix the issues.

$ w3m -dump https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusFull | grep 'mirrors file' | sort | uniq -c
      1 # Download binaries method: Check mirrors file link above.
     54   • mirrors file:
      1   • mirrors file: http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist
      1   • mirrors file: http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
      1   • mirrors file: http://mirrors.finnix.org/