Re: Sponsoring a Tails hackfest?

Hi,

[Dropping -project@ to Cc, most follow-ups should probably go
to -derivatives@ instead.]

Jonathan Dowland wrote (14 May 2014 15:19:42 GMT) :
> On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 01:27:44AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> The website has a very admirable statement about minimizing the delta with
>> Debian, but is the size of this delta published and tracked anywhere?

> I wonder whether solving this very thing could be part of the work that takes
> part?

I've added this idea to the agenda for our contributors meeting.

TBH, I doubt that any work on this will happen during the hackfest
(scheduled *before* the meeting), though, as it only spans on two
days, and those of us with the kind of skills needed to work on this
will be busy introducing all the attending potential contributors to
the way we work, and helping them... particularly for the Debian
aspects of our task.

Now, tracking and publishing the raw size of the delta shouldn't be
too hard, but I doubt that this information only would be very useful
to anyone. It seems to me that having more information about the
content of this delta, and perhaps more importantly the reasons behind
it, would be needed to make it useful.

I'll look into the DEX and the derivatives census scripts for ideas,
focusing on "what kind of question on this topic do we need to easily
find the answer to?" first. Input is welcome, of course :)

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri