Debian derivatives census: Cumulus Linux: welcome!

Hi Nolan,

I would like to welcome yourself and Cumulus Linux to the Debian
derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce
yourself and Cumulus Linux to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux

Thanks for joining our mailing list and IRC channel :)

http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from there
may apply to Cumulus Linux.

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Cumulus Linux census page, I've
made a few changes:

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux?action=info

The apt repository for Cumulus Linux does not contain any source
packages, including for packages licensed under the GNU GPL. This may or
may not be a copyright violation depending on whether our not you
distribute those elsewhere. In any case, please add source packages to
your repository so that Debian can automatically create patches to be
presented to Debian package maintainers.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#No_source_packages
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches

The page says that Cumulus Linux modifies Debian binary packages. It is
quite rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages. Does
Cumulus Linux actually do this? If so could you describe what kind of
modifications you are making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the value
of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the Cumulus Linux blog to Planet Debian derivatives which
helps the Debian community find out the things that are happening in the
world of Debian derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Portland, OR, USA. I'm glad
to see that Cumulus Linux developers will be attending and that Cumulus
Networks is sponsoring the conference.

http://debconf14.debconf.org/

I note that Cumulus Linux is based on Debian stable. The Debian release
team recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian
stable release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your
plans for rebasing on the next Debian release (jessie).

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/07/msg00002.html

The situation with Cumulus Linux and SSL is suboptimal, some links
redirect to unencrypted http, some links have different content with
https and some links have a revoked SSL certificate, examples below. I
would suggest adding DNSSEC, TLSA, http->https redirects, HSTS etc.

https://cumulusnetworks.com/
http://oss.cumulusnetworks.com/
https://oss.cumulusnetworks.com/
https://repo.cumulusnetworks.com/

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Cumulus Linux team.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise