Changelog parser for comparing packages in derivatives.

I have a script on the raspbian server which generates debdiffs between our modified packages and the debian packages they are based on.

The tricky bit is deciding what to compare them to. At the moment the script assumes that the source package name has not changed and that it can get the version to compare with by stripping "+rpi<n>" out of the version number. This works in most cases but in a few cases we have derived source packages with changed names.

So i'm wondering does anyone know of an easy way to extract the changelog from a source package, search it for the most recent entry that does NOT have a given string (in our case +rpi) in the version number and then return the source package name and version number from that changelog entry.