Re: Patents: Join Open Invention Network advice

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM, adrian15 wrote:

> 1) Should I apply to OIN so that Rescatux is a member?

That is up to you to decide.

> 2) What's the Debian policy about OIN? I've only found this information:

In short:

We didn't join because OIN's public facing stance on software patents
is too patent-positive.

We probably couldn't join as we aren't a legal entity, perhaps SPI
could join though.

We encouraged them to use 'Debian main' in their Linux System
definition but got no response.

Some links to discussions over the years:

http://lists.debian.org/4CFF40A0.2070608@kingswood-consulting.co.uk
http://lists.debian.org/20080702225935.GC27846@einval.com
http://lists.debian.org/20110204151502.GA10245@upsilon.cc
http://lists.debian.org/20120704032402.GA11034@upsilon.cc
http://lists.debian.org/4FF473CC.4020103@debian.org

Some links to other critism of OIN:

http://faif.us/cast/2010/dec/07/0x04/
https://lwn.net/Articles/446441/

Apparently the reason they invite entities without patents is because
it helps promote OIN, as a result the usual advice I hear in some
circles is to join OIN but demand anonymity.

> 3) Are there any specific patent guidelines for Debian derivatives? I didn't
> find anything relevant in: https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

This applies to all community distros, including Debian derivatives:

http://www.debian.org/reports/patent-faq

I've added a link to the guidelines in the 'see also' section.

> 5) Do you recommend me other royalty-free cross-licensing patent
> network to apply to?

Focusing on these projects might be better:

http://www.eff.org/patent-busting
http://endsoftpatents.org/

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise