Re: bits from the DPL: June 2012

On 04/07/12 16:17, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org>, 2012-07-03, 21:24:
>> Since [OIN][19] was seeking comments on their [Linux System
>> definition][12]
[...]
> Why do we care? What's the point of such definition?

"Patents owned by Open Invention Network® are available royalty-free to
any company, institution or individual that agrees not to assert its
patents against the Linux System."

The broader their definition of "the Linux System" is, the broader that
agreement becomes: if it covered all of Debian main, then nobody relying
on an OIN patent license could assert their patents against anything in
Debian main, which would be nice.