Debian derivatives census: SteamOS: welcome!

Hi John,

I would like to welcome yourself and SteamOS to the Debian derivatives
census! I'm sure many of us are aware of SteamOS and the FAQ so perhaps
instead of the usual distro intro, you might like to tell us about your
role in SteamOS and your plans for the future of SteamOS & Debian.

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/SteamOS

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from there
may apply to SteamOS.

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

I've made a few changes to the SteamOS census page:

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/SteamOS?action=info

The last item on the SteamOS homepage has already been completed since
SteamOS is available for download now.

There doesn't appear to be a SteamOS blog or a blog aggregator for
SteamOS developers. If these existed they would be syndicated on Planet
Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out the
things that are happening in SteamOS.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Next year the annual Debian conference is in Portland, OR, USA. This
appears to be relatively close to the SteamOS location, it would be
great if developers from SteamOS/Valve could attend DebConf.

http://debconf14.debconf.org/

I would encourage Valve (the SteamOS corporate sponsor) to contribute
financially to ensure the continued survival of Debian and the success
of the annual Debian conference.

http://www.debian.org/donations
http://debconf.org/sponsors/
http://debconf14.debconf.org/become-sponsor.xhtml

I note that SteamOS is based on Debian stable with some backports. The
Debian release team recently released a timeline for the freeze for the
next Debian stable release. I would encourage you to review it and
prepare your plans for rebasing on the next Debian release (jessie).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/12/msg00008.html

You might also like to contribute your backporting efforts to Debian.

http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/

I note that SteamOS uses the Debian installer, I would encourage you to
provide feedback and fixes to the installer team.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

SteamOS relies on well maintained graphics drivers. I hear you are
already involved with the various upstream graphics driver projects but
it would be great if you could be involved in the relevant Debian teams:

X Strike Force: X11/Wayland servers, drivers and related packages
http://x.debian.net/

NVIDIA Maintainers: for the NVIDIA proprietary drivers
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-nvidia

Fglrx packaging team: for ATI/AMD proprietary drivers
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-fglrx-devel

SteamOS is a game distribution platform. Debian also distributes games
and the games team is a focal point for that activity. I'm not sure how
much scope there is for SteamOS folks to be involved there but help with
maintaining the Debian package of the Steam client would be appreciated
at least.

https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Team

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the SteamOS team and
within Valve in general.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise