Re: release aliases

Hello Paul,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:51:25PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
>
> > APT::Default-Release "wheezy";
>
> I don't understand why this is nessecary. Do you have anything other
> than wheezy in the Knoppix sources.list?

Yes, of course. unstable, testing and stable, for installing and
upgrading single packages from the newest versions in Debian, but
"wheezy" is the proposed default for dist-upgrade, unless a package is
already newer than that.

> I note that the sources.list in the census for Knoppix points to a
> repository that doesn't appear to contain a Release file. This means
> that Knoppix users are subject to MITM attacks because
> Packages/Sources are not OpenPGP signed. I think it also means that
> APT::Default-Release has no meaning.

The Knoppix repository mainly contains sources (apt-get source) for
binary packages which are already pre-installed in Knoppix, in order to
comply with §3 of the GPL V2. Packages are not installed or upgraded
from there. Rather seldom, I put packages for manual updates or bugfixes
there.

I know, they should get signed anyways. Planned for this year.

Regards
-Klaus