Re: Debian Derivative: Rescatux

El 29/12/13 01:14, Paul Wise escribió:
On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 1:07 AM, adrian15 wrote:

   I'm the main Rescatux developer which I believe to be a Debian Derivative.
I've been subscribed to this mailing list for a while but I haven't had time
to send any message, so here I am.

Welcome to the list :)
Thank you.

   I think I discovered Debian Derivatives from a Debconf video.

Cool :)

   I am going to write about Rescatux just in case you want to add it to the
Census (based on aptosid wiki page).

It is up to the people involved in the derivatives to join the census.
Debian will invite derivatives to join but not add them directly.

Assuming that you are involved in the Rescatux project, I would
encourage you to register an account on the wiki, login and enter
'Rescatux' (without quotes) in the form and press 'Add a new
derivative'. That will use the latest CensusTemplate page and put a
Rescatux page in the right place.
If you check:
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census
and
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Aptosid
both of them are shown as: "Inmutable page". From my experience in former wiki systems I thought that even having a wiki account I wouldn't have been able to edit it without an special administrator permission.

I will try to resgister the wiki account and so on.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

Rescatux comes with Rescapp. Rescapp is a nice wizard that
will guide you through your rescue tasks.

That sounds like a useful tool, have you considered adding it to Debian?

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

The first problem is that I should convert it into a package and that needs some work from my part.

The second problem is that it has some many dependencies, and maybe I should make several packages for each of the Rescapp options and that makes me have a headache :).

The third problem is that is not a tool to be used in a working installation but from a live cd (it assumes no partition has been mounted). So not sure that it will be useful as a normal package.

Even with these problems I plan to make a package and submit it to Debian some day or another. Maybe after reworking Rescapp internal architecture once again.

Somehow I am more confident directly editing scripts than having to edit them, build a package, upload to a local repo, and rebuild the iso. Yes, I could script it but I see it as overwhelming right now.

  * Microblog: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/news/news-rescatux/

Microblog is meant for things like twitter/identica pages.
Ok, I thought it was not a general blog but an specific one. No twitter yet. Planned custom status.net server but no time to build it.

  * Debian derivatives census maintainer: NOT SURE WHAT TO PUT HERE

That would be the name, email address and IRC nick of the person from
Rescatux who is willing to create and maintain a census page and also
be a point of contact for Debian folks.
That would be me then.

  * Package comparison: A packages file is available in download

This is for a page like this:

http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/mdt/all.html
I don't have one of them. Not sure how useful is one of these pages. I will check: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiDistroTools anyways just in case it's easy to setup.

  * QA information:
http://rescatux.berlios.de/wiki/Main_Page#Frequently_Asked_Questions_.28FAQ.29

In this context QA means quality assurance not questions & answers.
Ok. Current QA is manual so no link to it.

  * apt repositories:

It would be great if you could fill this one in if you add a page to the wiki.
I don't have custom apt repositories for custom Rescatux packages yet.

   I will, for sure, try to apply some of the Re-branding pointed out in:
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines . If it's not easy to do via
Debian Live project I will also try to improve Debian Live itself.

Great. If you have any other feedback on the guidelines or additional
tweaks that need to happen, we would love to hear about them.
You will hear from me ;).

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/