Re: New Debian Derivative

+++ kumar shantanu [2013-09-20 14:24 +0530]:
>    Hi Paul,
>
>    When I say lighter I meant having less

fewer

>    packages/services which will need
>    less resource on the system to run the OS. I may agree with your that all
>    this can be done with debianpureblends.
>
>    BUT what if I really want to go with a completely new branded OS ? Can you
>    guide me in that direction please.

check out dpkg-vendor for a mechanism to change arbitrary 'things'
(such as branding) within packages. Otherwise metapackages and or
debconf can be used to choose alternative packages or existing
selections.

'Branding' is actually spread over quite a few packages so there is no
one place or mechanism to change this. However it's quite a common
problem, so I assume it's relatively cleanly done and already
available in many packages.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/