catchall package installation techniques?

So probably my biggest annoyance in keeping SprezzOS's 8.5k binary
packages up to date is the pattern where a source package yields multiple
binary packages, where the paths of installed files among multiple packages
intersect (this is very prevalent in e.g. kde packages). this leads to
multiple .install files, partitioning among them the installed files via
enumeration.

a practical result is a tedious comparison of installed files with install
manifests each time the package is updated. scripts can make this easier,
but it's still error-prone and feels unnecessary.

is there any way to "catch-all" for a directory in an .install manifest?
i.e., we have three files a/b.h a/c.h a/d.h. i don't want d.h installed, c.h
goes in package foospecial-dev, b.h goes in foo-dev, and any new files will
most likely belong in foo-dev. is there any way to write something like:

not.install: a/d.h
foospecial-dev.install: a/c.h
foo-dev.install: a/{default}

and have dh_install figure this out for me? i can't be the first person
annoyed by this.

thanks!

--
nick black     http://www.sprezzatech.com -- unix and hpc consulting
to make an apple pie from scratch, you need first invent a universe.