Re: apt-show-versions rewrite

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 02:54:34PM +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
[..]
> > Note that I don't by any means propose replacing other APT components
> > with RAPTORIAL, yet.
>
> Based on the README the keyword in this sentence is "yet", so:
> Yeah, yet an other project striking to rewrite APT in the future!
>
> If only half the amount of time used to write all these rewrites would be
> used to help the chronic under-staffed APT team … :(

I can only echo this. Apt is available now and widely used, the time
spend helping it with bugfixes, features, (code)cleanup or writing
{integration,unit}tests helps a lot of people now whereas rewriting it
from scratch may help only in some (distant?) future. I prefer to see
a port of apt-show-versions to libapt and c++ instead of a rewrite of
apt/libapt/apt-show-versions. Happy to help with that and provide the
skeleton and guidance on irc and all that even.

Cheers,
 Michael