Re: lsb-release codename

nick black wrote:
peter green left as an exercise for the reader:
I maintain a debian derivative called raspbian and got the following
bug report.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1069141
How does lsb-release determine the codename? is it something to do
with the repository? How should I fix this issue?

it gets it by reading /etc/lsb-release, which is owned by lsb-release.
That file does not seem to exist in debian (except in debian-edu-config)

So I decided to dig into the code myself and it seems for stable releases lsb_release uses /etc/debian_version but for testing and unstable systems that does not provide a version number so it interrogates apt instead. However it ignores non-debian apt sources.

Easy enough to fix (though I failed to get the testsuite to behave, there may or may not be a debian bug filed for that depening on whether I can reproduce the issue on debian)