Re: much nicer, more complete matrix

Paul Wise left as an exercise for the reader:
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ if dpkg --compare-versions 1.0-10 '<' 1.0-1SprezzOS1
> ; then echo true ; else echo false ; fi
> false

Disproof of one case does not a proof make :).

[skynet](0) $ if dpkg --compare-versions 1.0-1A '<' 1.0-1SprezzOS1 ; then
echo true ; else echo false ; fi
true
[skynet](0) $

> Should not be needed, please read policy:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

"Note that the purpose of epochs is to allow us to leave behind mistakes in
version numbering, and to cope with situations where the version numbering
scheme changes. It is not intended to cope with version numbers containing
strings of letters which the package management system cannot interpret
(such as ALPHA or pre-), or with silly orderings."

This would seem to apply to revisions as well, from my read, in exactly the
fashion I've just demonstrated. Closure under concatenation seems sufficient
to demonstrate this. My apologies if I'm being dense and missing something.

--
nick black     http://www.sprezzatech.com -- unix and hpc consulting
to make an apple pie from scratch, you need first invent a universe.