Re: derivatives and bugs

Neil Williams left as an exercise for the reader:
> 2: Each derivative has their own needs to bug tracking and it's more
> reasonable (IMHO) to use Debian as the common interface for derivatives
> based on Debian and assist each derivative in tracking upstream (Debian)
> bugs in the downstream bug trackers rather than adding derivative
> tracking to the Debian systems.

I couldn't agree more with your gist here. The issue I see is buy-in;
not many derivatives seem interested in DBTS integration, or at least
consider it an issue of great import (based off what I've read in your and
Paul's responses).

I'm personally interested in this more for Debian's benefit than
derivatives'. Debian will be here long after I (and SprezzOS) lose carrier.
Paul's "postmortem reports" on what can be salvaged from defunct derivatives
tend to run rather slim; if things were being moved upstream *in media res*,
I suspect that would be more effective in ensuring improvements reached
Debian (and would probably save derivatives some wasted effort on
considered, but rejected, ideas).

A major issue in any kind of automatic integration will be loss of
information as bugs move from one tracker to another. Loss of information
suggests loss of bijection, and loss of bijection suggests inability to
automate. I'm intimately familiar with neither the details of DBTS nor PTS,
though, so perhaps my worries are unwarranted.

--rigorously, nick

--
nick black     http://www.sprezzatech.com -- unix and hpc consulting
to make an apple pie from scratch, you need first invent a universe.