Re: derivatives and bugs

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:25:14 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> Doing that since it gives me an opportunity to discuss some other things
> related to bugs and derivatives that will allow us to expand the
> derivatives guidelines on that topic.

Emdebian is using a pseudo-package in the BTS but that's slightly
different from other derivatives.

> It would be great if we could link to the bugs filed in derivatives
> against packages in Debian from their PTS pages.

That will quickly make the PTS too large to be useful...

The other issue is parallel bugs and fixing bugs in multiple places...

I've already found this to be difficult to manage with the
pseudo-package for Emdebian. Bugs just tend to go stale and never get
closed.

> Unfortunately it
> appears that only Ubuntu and UltimediaOS have some kind of mapping
> between bugs and source packages. Apparently UltimediaOS are switching
> bug trackers so that may change soon, leaving only Ubuntu, which is
> already linked from the PTS.

.. with limited usefulness as many DD's ignore the Ubuntu bug list for
a complex variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the Ubuntu
bug tracker invites fly-by reports which never elicit sufficient data
to fix the more complex bugs or even demonstrate that the bug is
actually fixed.

The point here is about fixing bugs, not just collated unfixable
reports which confuse the issue by listing some similar bugs fixed and
some not.

> Are any other derivatives interested in
> having their bugs linked to from the PTS pages for each package and
> willing to implement a machine-readable way for the PTS to know which
> packages have bugs and where to find them?

I've been considering this with Emdebian Grip, not so much with the bug
numbers but with version comparison data. Again, the risk is that the
PTS for base packages like gcc-4.x will become even less useful due to
information overload.

We may need an interface page which collates all derivative information
but that's going to be a maintenance headache.

> Most other derivatives have been using the debbugs usertags feature instead:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/bugs.debian.org/usertags
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Debian/Usertagging

I'll be working on the same thing, in parallel to the pseudo-package.

The Forwarded: fixed-upstream mechanism in Debian works reasonably -
when everyone concerned works together - but there are a few different
aspects to all this:

0: forwarding and fixed-upstream needs detailed coordination and
support for a variety of systems which can work when there is a
dedicated team per package / system but will be hard to manage across a
large range of disparate packages and only a single developer/team as
in a derivative.

1: forwarding and fixed-upstream does lead to a concept though -
derivatives are downstream of Debian. Upstream teams don't typically
collate data from all distributions, it's the distributions which
collate data from upstreams. It's the same with derivatives - it may
simply need to be that each derivative tracks Debian bug status and not
vice versa. Each derivative then needs to have a way of "forwarding"
their own bugs to the BTS and updating those bugs automatically when
the BTS status changes.

2: Each derivative has their own needs to bug tracking and it's more
reasonable (IMHO) to use Debian as the common interface for derivatives
based on Debian and assist each derivative in tracking upstream (Debian)
bugs in the downstream bug trackers rather than adding derivative
tracking to the Debian systems.

--

Neil Williams