Re: DEX (Re: derivatives front desk status check)

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
>
>> I emailed Matt earlier this week asking if there was a plan to have a
>> conversation about DEX, and he told me to get a session scheduled, so I did:
>>
>> http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/meeting/20808/dex-and-debian-derivatives-discussion/
>
> Were there any notes or audio recorded for this session?

Notes are on the embedded etherpad on that page, though you probably
need a Launchpad account to see that. So I'll paste them below:

Existing DEX projects
 - patches.ubuntu.com (ancient-patches) is done

Possible new DEX projects
 - big-merges: largest deltas in Ubuntu relative to Debian
   Identify which packages to work on
- adding Debian-related metadata to Ubuntu patches (e.g. whether it
has been forwarded)
- patch-tracker.ubuntu.com a la patch-tracker.debian.org
- possible action item: Ask Seanius/Giovanni Mascellani (maintainers
of patch-tracker) if they're willing to accept data on the patches in
Ubuntu
- http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/oldmerges/

- add DEP-3 headers to patch-tracker.debian.org itself?

Nathan Handler categorized (a while back) the possible big-merges candidates:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.derivatives/427

Collaboration between multiple distros
- build.opensuse.org (OBS) imports Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/SUSE packages wit
  https://build.opensuse.org/ (only imports Ubuntu main, universe
would be useful)
  doesn't import all of Debian main / legal concerns?

Would like to see more Debian and Ubuntu packages built from the same
source package (e.g., using a separate debian/patches/series file)

sponsor ubuntu-but-not-debian packages via mentors.debian.net?

http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/mdt/all.html#notinA

Removing packages
- Possibly the right way to deal with packages in Ubuntu (esp.
universe) and not in Debian is to figure out why they're not in Debian
(RM'd?) and pursue removing them in Ubuntu

Work items:
 * [geofft] generate a target list of old merges
 * Review packages in Ubuntu and not in Debian -- things that should
be removed, etc.
    - File RFAs for Ubuntu packages
 * Talk to OBS about importing Ubuntu+1 and Debian testing/unstable /
improving Debian support in general
 * [paulproteus] Check with patch-tracker.debian.org to see if they
want to display Ubuntu patch information, and if they can show DEP-3
headers
 * [paulproteus, stefanor] Help Ubuntu packagers to get their packages
in Debian / convince them to file RFS

The audio was streamed live, but I don't know if anyone captured it.

Thanks!

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer