Re: Extremadura & Debian

[Apologies if you are already subscribed, wasn't sure if I should CC you]

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Anto Recio wrote:

> the latest version is based on Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 of the matter is that
> there are various opinions, some say it's best to keep that version, I think
> it is best that you upgrade to the current version of Debian to make it
> easier alone is updated from now.
>

> I'd like to have your opinion, and as technical advisor on what is the best
> choice, if you keep version 6.0.3 or upgrade to new Weezy, your opinion
> would be very important..

Debian squeeze is up to 6.0.6, so at minimum, Linex should be updated
to 6.0.6 to get security and other updates:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

Different derivatives have different strategies for their releases
depending on the amount of technical resources they have and other
requirements. The right strategy for Linex really depends on how many
people are employed and the requirements of Linex users.

Some build upon the work of the Debian release team and base their
releases on Debian stable. For these distributions, when Debian goes
into freeze is probably the best time for them to begin preparation
for new releases. This allows them to synchronise their releases with
Debian and benefit from the stabilisation work that happens during the
freeze process and the post-release security and other updates that
Debian does.

Others (like Ubuntu) do their own work to create releases in order to
get a different release schedule, consequently they do more
stabilisation work outside Debian.

Still others snapshot Debian testing at regular intervals when it
suites their needs and or put work into checking quality so that they
can document and avoid user-visible issues.

There may be other strategies that I'm not aware of too, some may mix
and match parts of the above strategies or pull parts from other
places such as deb-multimedia.org, Liquorix or Ubuntu.

Based on what I know about Linex[1] (based on Debian stable) it sounds
like they should start the process to update to the next Debian stable
release since wheezy is frozen and may[2] be released next year.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/LinEx
2. http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise