Re: Debian derivatives census: dpkg vendor information

+++ Paul Wise [2012-10-27 08:01 +0800]:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kel Modderman wrote:
>
> > What is the benefit of making these changes to Debian, the derivative or the
> > end users thereof?
>
> Principally I wanted Debian's popcon site to be able distinguish
> between Debian users and users of derivatives:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/2012-October/002171.html
>
> I'm not sure about the original motivation for the addition of
> dpkg-vendor (Raphael?),

It was conceived as a way for derivatives to upstream changes that are
some kind of actual difference which can only be accomodated as 'if
vendor A, do this, if vendor B do this' alternative. Otherwise they
have to carry a patch forever and keep moving it forward.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/