Re: Debian derivatives census: dpkg vendor information

On 10/25/2012 05:37 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
>  * dpkg vendor: Please add here the output of this: dpkg-vendor --query
> Vendor. If this prints Debian then you need to patch base-files in your
> distribution to add a new file in /etc/dpkg/origins/example containing
> information about your distribution.

Is there a reason this must be done in base-files?  Finnix currently
does not patch base-files, and I'd rather not unless necessary.
Currently I have a package, finnix-release, which sets /etc/lsb-release
and uses that for other Finnix-specific identification within the OS.
I'd like to add /etc/dpkg/origins/finnix to finnix-release, then change
the /etc/dpkg/origins/default symlink to finnix in the postinst, which
should not step on the back-files package itself (since the symlink is
done there at postinst time as well).

RF