Re: Ubuntu Bug Fixing Initiatives

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:44:35PM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
>
> Hi Daniel, sorry for the terrible (vacation-induced :)) lag.
>
> > in Ubuntu we recently started some Bug Fixing initiatives, where we
> > tried to single out a number of bugs which are suitable for new
> > contributors who are interested in giving back, but don't quite yet
> know
> > where to start.

> In fact, we already have technical support for that. The pesudo tag
> "gift" in devscripts' bts was introduced quite a while ago for this
> specific reason [1,2]. But it has never really worked out, as you can
> observe from the sorrow size of the "gifted" bugs list [3]. Maybe the

heh, i dont' think i've heard of that before.

> name we chose back then was not appropriate ("easy" might be better),
> but truth is: we've never really find out how to socially promote this
> enough, to turn gift-tagging into a social effort.
>
> Maybe you can integrate that aspect in what you're trying to do?
> Or, if anyone have any suggestion on how to turn gift-tagging into an
> effective social initiative ... I'll be happy to hear!

unfortunately doing the tagging/reviewing/sponsoring takes more effort then fixing the problem up front in a lot of cases - not that this is news to you :) for imho the first step(s) will need to be making it possible for people other then the maintainer ot do the reviewing and feedback. if the basic review is done without needing to spend maintainer time it may help (and iirc this is the direction mentors is trying to go?)

thanks
kk