Re: meeting poll closes in ~ 20 hours, thoughts on the agenda

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:57:20 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>
> > How do we bring patches back into Debian? I'd like to do this with
> > Maemo - identify patches via some kind of automated data mining and
> > then push back the relevant patches to Debian. Has anyone else
> > embarked on a project like this?
>
> My script looks at each source package and checks if it (or parts of
> it) was ever in Debian. If it looks modified then it attempts to find
> which Debian source package it was probably based on and diffs against
> that (using the snapshot.d.o database and files). Then it checks the
> patch to see if it is useful (currently ignores changelog-only
> patches) and outputs a list of useful patches, links to modified
> source packages and links to new source packages. It currently

Does it inform you about changelog only changes, or you don't care
about them?

> generates 80GB of patches. Most of that is because of how Ubuntu does
> kde-l10n-* differently to Debian and also because of the way the
> script finds versions to diff from (thunderbird packaging for one
> distro was forked from firefox for Debian or something). I'll try to
> have the script ready by the meeting and the results copied to alioth
> so that after the meeting folks can take a look at the results and
> give some feedback before I send a mail to debian-devel.

That would be great, thanks.

> In terms of auditing and forwarding patches back to Debian there are
> two DEX projects, one finished:
>
> http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu/ancient-patches/ (finished)
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/06/msg00039.html (big
> merges, stalled)

Would it be worth bringing up dex at the meeting? We could make the
topic of the meeting about deltas from debian, and use Jeremiahs
suggestion, as well as discussion about dex/your scripts.

thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)