Re: Announcing new Distribution

2011/9/18 Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
Hello Ferdinand,

thanks for sharing your plans!

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
> First of all, noone in the siduction team at this moment has any official
> ties to Debian, e.g. is a DD or wears any other official hat. This fact

It does not work that way. To become DD, you have to do something first.
As long as you keep doing things outside, you're unlikely to become DD
:-)

 Well, i am not a coder but rather organizer, publicist, integrator, motivator ...
 I have been doing things for Debian, like organitzing conferences (Mini-debconf Berlin 2010), doing support in #debian and #debian-next, whenever i can, updating copyright files for debian-qt-kde for kde 4.4 release...
Besides that, the work me and my colleagues have done, releasing unstable-based distributions, is work for Debian, imho. I guess that would entitle me to apply for non-uploading DD.

> This fact would make any action inside debian a bit cumbersome.

This is not entirely true. Being DD only helps to upload packages
but if you're doing good work on existing packages, I'm sure you'll easily
find people to upload your work.

And for the new packages that you would introduce, yes you would have some
delay imposed by the sponsorship process but you can do that in parallel
to uploading those packages on your own server.

> Besides the official Debian Unstable repository we will foster a small
> repository of our own within siduction, that will hold, besides our kernel,
> a small number of packages that are not yet in Debian, plus, at some points
> in time, probably some packages broken in Debian Unstable, that we fixed for
> our users, if there is no timely bugfix in Debian and the packages are
> essential to our users.

Except for the specific kernel, all the rest looks like worthy of upload
to Debian sid.
For the fixed packages, i guess a patch to the BTS is a better move.

> I know there is plans for Debian Rolling and/or CUT, which will both be
> based on Debian Testing. We much prefer to work with Unstable rather then
> Testing. From our expirience over the years we find it to be easier to
> handle all over. If there had been plans to base Rolling on Unstable, we
> might have thought twice, if we should not jump that train.

I don't think that this matters. Testing is built with packages coming
from Unstable, so if you're working on Unstable, you're helping
Testing/Rolling.

> At the end of the day, these facts would rather hinder than help Debian,
> which is not what we want.

I don't really see how you would hinder us... can you be more specific?

Debian is lacking manpower. Us using parts of the Debian infrastructure/manhours would not really help there.

regards
Ferdinand

Cheers,
--