Re: census: missing source packages

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:41:43 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking at the apt sources.list snippets included in the
> census and despite my prodding late last month, there are still five
> distributions that do not provide source packages despite offering
> binary packages. In one case I've even found users complaining on
> their distribution's forums about this. I've verified that in each of
> the cases where I can't find source packages, there are LGPL or GPL
> binary packages listed in the derivative's Packages files. So not
> only are some of our derivatives not living up to FLOSS principles,
> but a few are likely even violating licenses and copyright law.

Thats unfortunate.

[...]

> Now, my question is; what should Debian do about this if anything?

As far as enforcing copyright, nothing. If there are tools created by
DDs (or contributors) it might be worth telling them, as they are in a
position to demand the derivative picks up their game.
After that they would have to go the heavy handed route ...

I'd support something like Neil suggested, with the warning on
derivatives pages (or on the index?) that the derivative might not be
playing nice.
thanks,
kk

--