Re: DEX ancient-patches: where the rubber meets the road

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 04:08:02PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> What about a tentative NMU? Could one create an NMU fix and then forward
> it to the maintainer(s) and say something like: "We've identified an
> outstanding patch to a bug in Debian from a derivative. We've provided a
> {patch,new package} for you. We'd like to close this bug so we propose an
> upload to the archive by the maintainer of this new package. If this
> cannot be done, simply reply to DEX and it will be done for you as an NMU.
> Also, since this bug is considered an outstanding issue, we'll go ahead
> with an NMU after $reasonable_time. Thanks for your help."
>
> Is this process of contacting the maintainer and making life as easy as
> possible a reasonable way to go? Even if there is an NMU at the end? Or
> would this be considered bad form?

I would love to get to a point where this kind of contribution would be
considered welcome, but at the moment I think it depends a lot on context.
If the bug is a wishlist item (as in some of the cases in ancient-patches)
this might be considered inappropriate.

Where the package in question is maintained in git, I think providing a
branch would probably be a more welcome way to present such a patch.  For
packages without a VCS, I'm not sure whats best: presenting a debdiff
perhaps?

--
 - mdz