Re: DEX update and next steps

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 06:31:22PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:00:16 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:44:11AM +0800, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > > On the converse side, we might also want to start maintaining a list of
> > > divergences which are not meant to be reconciled. That happens sometimes
> > > in Debian wrt upstream, it'll probably be the case also for derivatives.
> > > Although those cases are unfortunate, it's in our interest to keep such
> > > a list somewhere, so that we avoid re-considering them over and over
> > > again.
> >
> > Yes.  This seems like something which should be handled by
> > http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/ (Forwarded: not-needed)?
>
> Fully ACK.
> However, "Forwarded: not-needed" might also mean that it's not needed to
> forward them to the "package upstream". We might use a "Debian-Forwarded:
> not-needed" pseudo-header maybe?

I guess it depends.  The DEP seems to assume there is only ever one
upstream, or one upstream for a particular patch.  For a packaging-only
patch, Debian is the upstream.  For a mixed packaging+code patch, a single
status is not sufficient.

If we can get by with the existing fields without adding more complexity, I
think that's preferable.  Maybe we could try it that way and see what
happens (we can always try adding a header later).

> Another idea could be exploiting usertags to track the ones forwarded too: if
> Ubuntu could put all its patches in one place (patches.ubuntu.com?), we could
> usertag a Debian bug with attached an Ubuntu patch with something like:
>
>     usertag patch-name foo_bla_bla.patch
>
> (can't remember the exact usertag syntax, forgive me, hope it makes sense)

The collection of patches we swept in ancient-patches is a relic from a time
when both Debian and Ubuntu had less infrastructure for patch tracking.  The
correct thing to do now in Ubuntu is to use the "submittodebian" script
which does all the right things automatically.

In other words, we shouldn't have to deal with random patch files lying
around anymore. :-)

--
 - mdz