Re: DEX update and next steps

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:00:16 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:44:11AM +0800, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On the converse side, we might also want to start maintaining a list of
> > divergences which are not meant to be reconciled. That happens sometimes
> > in Debian wrt upstream, it'll probably be the case also for derivatives.
> > Although those cases are unfortunate, it's in our interest to keep such
> > a list somewhere, so that we avoid re-considering them over and over
> > again.
>
> Yes.  This seems like something which should be handled by
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/ (Forwarded: not-needed)?

Fully ACK.
However, "Forwarded: not-needed" might also mean that it's not needed to
forward them to the "package upstream". We might use a "Debian-Forwarded:
not-needed" pseudo-header maybe?

Another idea could be exploiting usertags to track the ones forwarded too: if
Ubuntu could put all its patches in one place (patches.ubuntu.com?), we could
usertag a Debian bug with attached an Ubuntu patch with something like:

    usertag patch-name foo_bla_bla.patch

(can't remember the exact usertag syntax, forgive me, hope it makes sense)

> [..]
> > > - New packages: Continue the Utnubu effort to identify packages which are
> > >   new in Ubuntu and not in Debian yet, and try to get them into Debian
> > > (file WNPP bugs? upload orphaned packages? find maintainers? sponsor the
> > > Ubuntu maintainer?)
> >
> > Sponsor the Ubuntu maintainer to upload in Debian would probably be the
> > best option, possibly inviting them to maintain the package directly in
> > Debian. I suggest to ask for feedback on -mentors on this specific
> > topic.
>
> I'd love it if someone could follow up on that.  It might start to get
> slightly outside the scope of DEX, though, if we get involved in setting up
> an ongoing sponsorship/mentoring program.  I think that may be a good idea,
> but it's less clearly a good DEX project.
>
> For this reason, I feel a bit uncertain about how to organize the new
> packages project.  It seemed to have traction in Utnubu, so I'm hoping
> there's an existing process for how to actually mark these packages "done"
> somehow.  Finding maintainers and mentors is more of an open-ended process.

Utnubu really never started, and I've done sponsorings in the past even outside
Utnubu's umbrella.

I think that we can *just* maintain an updated list of missing packages, and
maybe link to it in relevant places (wnpp.debian.net?). Then we might *help* in
dealing with possible derivative-specific issues, which should be ironed
out/better handled in Debian, but the sponsoree *MUST* be interested in getting
the package in Debian herself.

David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino