Re: DEX update and next steps

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:09:00 +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:06:44 +0100
> David Paleino <dapal@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:37:26 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > > [..]
> > > = Next Steps =
> > >
> > > I'd like to start compiling ideas for the next Ubuntu DEX project,
> > > once the above tasks have been completed.  Here are some ideas:
> > >
> > > [..]
> >
> > As anticipated on IRC, I'm working on a more modular layout for DEX
> > repositories. This means that members of the Ubuntu DEX Team (or any
> > other future team) would only need to clone one repository, instead
> > of everybody working on the same repository.
>
> Is the current work in a public repository somewhere? (Sorry if i've
> missed it somewhere in the thread).

"Yes", in the sense that's publicly reachable, but not really ready :)

$ git clone --recursive git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/dex/NEW/web.git

(notice the intended-bad url :))

It usees git "modules" (see gitmodules(5)) to achieve the desired result. It
has some hackery though, like the symlink $project.mdwn to $project/index.page
(so that the index page stays inside the project repository). I don't know if
this is acceptable practice (I think yes), but it's the only thing I could
think of as a quick hack. From tomorrow though, I can start working on it
again :)

The --recursive is needed to clone all the subprojects (only "ubuntu" ATM). The
idea is that one can clone the whole repository (like above), or only its own
project (like "git clone [..]/ubuntu.git").

I'll also write scripts to create projects, and add them to the
"web.git" (which I'll probably call "main.git" in future), so that one "git
pull"[1] makes the right thing.

[1]: it's also possible that "git pull" wouldn't do the right thing, but a
sequence of "git submodule <command>" would. In this case, I think I'll write
a ./update-repo script, or kinda :)

I hope the general idea is clearer now.

Kindly,
David