Re: RFPs and Upstreaming

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 01:23:27AM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
There was some discussion at UDS-M in Brussels that RFPs are prone to
bit rot in Debian.  I wanted to clarify whether or not the Ubuntu bug
squad (and other derivatives as well) should bother creating RFPs for
needs packaging bugs.

As I remember the discussion, the point was not to port
needs-packaging bugs over as RFPs, but rather to file RFPs for stuff
which you've packaged in your derivative and want to inform Debian
about semi-formally. Something like "Hey, I've packaged
really-cool-app v0.1 in Blah distro, if you're interested in uploading
to Debian, why not start from this package?"

So I think that the advice given from that session is still valid — if
you have a package that could go to Debian but you personally don't
have the time to maintain it there then file an RFP pointing to the
Ubuntu source and if someone in Debian then comes along to package the
software they will be able to find it easily.

Regards,
Iain