Re: RFPs and Upstreaming

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:23:27 -0600
Micah Gersten <micahg@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> There was some discussion at UDS-M in Brussels that RFPs are prone to
> bit rot in Debian.  I wanted to clarify whether or not the Ubuntu bug
> squad (and other derivatives as well) should bother creating RFPs for
> needs packaging bugs.

A symptom of "scratch your own itch". RFP bugs are sometimes useful
when a developer needs to find a tool for an unfamiliar task.

If it's a niche package, it's probably better to just package it
yourself instead of waiting for someone else to do it. It's better that
the RFP bug rots in Debian than a half-hearted packaging attempt causing
the package to rot in Debian. The package needs someone to care about
it.

Emdebian doesn't use RFP bugs - we either write a new tool or file bugs
against packages already in Debian which could be adapted to suit.

--

Neil Williams